Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Perfect Little Human Being

Wednesday, April 1st was our very first ultrasound. An experience neither one of us will ever forget. We sat in the small, warm and dark room, almost in tears as we were able to actually see the little one for the first time. My belly exposed, covered in some sort of jelly and the ultrasound technicians magic wand scrolling across my abdomen, we watched the images appear on a large, flat-screen tv on the wall in front of us. We saw the brain, the little heart pumping, tiny bones, the stomach, spine, kidneys, little feet and hands. At just about half a pound and the size of my hand, we were surprised at how it looked like a "real" baby. When the wand stopped to take a photo we saw the little one kicking, rolling and waving it's arms around. "A perfectly active baby" said the technician. (Truth is, I think the baby likes my yogurt - it always seems to move after I've eaten it). One of our favorite moments was seeing a little foot and a tiny hand appear that reached up and grabbed the toes, pulling them down. The baby seemed so happy and alive in there. The sonographer said that everything looked wonderful and healthy and that we had made "a perfect little human being." (I couldn't have said it better myself).

No comments: