Friday, June 17, 2011

Harper's Birth Story

What a crazy story it is.... You always hear that every pregnancy, birth and child are different, which seems counterintuitive because what can be so different about something so common and something you've already done? Well, E and H's birth stories are completely different. I was 3 days past my due date when our little lady decided to make her entrance. It was 3:00 am when I felt a "goosh" while lying in bed. My water had broke (which I hear only happens in 10% of women). Dr. M and I headed to the hospital after calling the doc and wishing my mother-in-law luck with little E while we were gone. We met our Doula in the labor and delivery room and the fun began. I soon noticed that our little girl had a bowel movement in uterine (meconium) and we were told that she was at an elevated risk of infection. We walked the hospital halls, bounced on the birthing ball and labored for hours. At about 11 am (and 7 cm) I decided it was time for some pain management and opted for the epidural. We all took naps while things progressed, and around 3:30pm we started to push. By this time the epidural had begun to wear off and things were starting to really hurt...but it was too late for more meds. As I pushed my OB realized that baby girl was coming out "sunny side up" facing the doctor as opposed to the more natural/common (and less painful) face down. Doc said that delivering a baby face up was like adding another pound to it's birth weight. And that's exactly what it felt like. Because of the meconium and risk of infection a NICU nurse and special pediatrician were in the room and whisked her off to be examined immediately after she was born. They cleaned her lungs, cut the cord, weighed her and then placed her on my chest. She was perfect.
Our second night in the hospital we were awaken by the house pediatrician telling us that H had developed an infection in her lungs and would need to be on antibiotics via IV for the next 48 hours. We were devastated because that meant we wouldn't be able to go home with our little girl. It was horrible seeing her hooked up to all the wires and tubes in there. We knew she was in good hands, however and that it was best for her. I pumped and we visited often. The 48 hours following were the hardest days of my life. Leaving her was so emotional. But she quickly got better and was able to come home today! So far she's been sleeping and eating, like a perfect angel. She's beautiful. Though it's hectic with E and H at home together the grandmas are a great help and I feel a sense of balance here. It's been a loooong week to say the least. Tonight is our first night with our baby girl which warms my heart.

Headed to the hospital (beach towel for the car ride not pictured)!

Our big girl is finally here!

Just minutes old with mom and dad

NICU :(

Happy to finally go home (in the blanket that mom made)!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am so glad that she is home safe! And I was thinking about stopping by today to bring you the swing cover. I'll call first though. :)