Friday, July 20, 2012

A year in our sweet home....

A year ago this week, we were in complete chaos, moving our family cross-country to our "sweet home in Alabama."  Today I think back to that week and, well, I'm glad it's over, but also can't believe it's been a whole YEAR!  Want to know the sad part?  I haven't left the state since I got here.  Seriously.  I've spent the past 365+ nights in the state of Alabama, with my babies.  I guess having a newborn attached to my breast and a very busy young boy has made it difficult to really get away.  We have, however, had a wonderful flow of friends and family come stay with us, which has helped us so much.  Over the past year so much has happened...we have watched our baby grow into a toddler and our toddler grow into a child, we've bought a home that we love, have made some great friends, become much closer as a family, watched Dr. M truly thrive in his new career, have a deeper appreciation for college football and have started using the word "y'all"(kidding!).  Though we really do like it down here (for the most part) we have noticed some differences in communication.  For example, some phrases that were new to us: 
 -Ya'll - Used all. the. time. Even in email, text and conversation.
-Yes, Ma'am - Everyone, all the time!  Makes me feel like I'm 92. 
- Mightacould - This one kills me.  It's Dr. M's favorite.  Seriously people use it in sentences like "you mightacould fix that." I just pretend like I didn't hear it.
- Buggy - It's what the shopping carts at the grocery store/Target are called.  Really.  This cracks me up.  It totally caught me off guard the first time someone asked me if I needed a buggy.
- Meat 'n' three -  This is a food option or a way of describing a restaurant like "City Cafe is a meat'n'three place".  It means exactly what it sounds like, you can order the meat of the day with three sides of your choice.
- Roll Tide Roll - Football is religion down here...every Saturday in the fall.  If you don't know who Saban is or what Bryant Denny is then you might as well leave town.
- April 27th - A day that no one in Tuscaloosa will ever forget.
Overall, we feel settled in here in T-Town and it's feeling like home more and more each day, though we still miss our family and friends dearly.  It still seems strange to me that we actually live in Alabama and that our kids may pick up an accent (I refuse to!).  I have no idea what the future down here has in store for us, but I feel good where we are right now and look forward to it.
  

No comments: