Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Year's Eve, birthday and the ER...

That's right...H and I spent over 53 hours in the hospital, on New Year's and New Year's Day.  When we got back from our Atlanta trip, H seemed to be doing better.  Her spirits were up and she hadn't thrown up since that morning, but things went downhill quickly that night...and the next morning she was even worse.  She couldn't keep anything down.  The afternoon of the 31st (my 35th birthday) we decided to take her into the ER.  She was dehydrated and just wasn't herself.  This was our FIRST trip to the ER (for either child) and our very first experience with the stomach flu!  To our surprise, after a bag of IV fluids, they admitted us for the night, for observation and more fluids.  Dr. M and E visited us that night and brought my birthday presents and a piece of cake....but I could tell Dr. M wasn't feeling 100% either.  That night, he got what H had...stomach flu.  The next day, he was feeling better, but I started feeling bad and by that evening, I too, was throwing up.  On top of everything, H still wasn't back to normal, so they decided to keep her for a second night.  The good news is that it turned out to be just a 24 hour bug for Dr. M and I and E never caught it!  Poor little H...it was so sad seeing her with her IV splint and in her little hospital gown.  She was so sweet and so sad.  Thanks to our wonderful friends and neighbors, we had three nights of soup waiting for us when we got home on the 2nd.  This season, in particular, seems to be a bad one for the flu...I'm hoping we stay healthy for the remainder of the winter...




ETA: After all the birthday and hospital talk...I realized that I didn't even take time to reflect on the past year.  What a year it's been!  So many 'firsts' for both our kids...H turning into a toddler, E into a little boy, me into a true 'home maker' (I kinda like it!) and Dr. M into the family support.  Moving into our new home, expanding our friendship circles and truly settling into our life here in the south.  2012 was great in so many ways, but also brought with it grim news in the form of cancer to two very loved family members and two adored pets.  I guess that's the ebb and flow of life...each year has it's ups and downs and unique memories, but the "C" word is really hard to hear and something we won't forget.  I'll admit, however, that Dr. M and I have resolutions to...lose weight, cut out sugar, join a CSA, buy a minivan, visit more state parks, go camping, drive to missouri, visit the beach, start running again, plant a garden and do some serious landscaping in 2013...we're two weeks into the year and I can tell you now, we haven't done one of those things yet....but we WILL, I promise :)  The start of the New Year also means that I will begin "working" for the first time in over three and a half years.  I'm babysitting a couple of my friends babies three to four times a week.  Not exactly my dream job, but the extra income will be nice and I'm happy to be able to help out my dear friends.  We have an amazing family, amazing life and amazing love between ALL of us.  I know 2013 is going to be absolutely AMAZING!

No comments: